- Wonderful parents, including a mother who continues to inspire me with her many examples of selflessness, patience, and strong faith
- Intelligence and good health, some of which I've used well and some not so well
- A small defect that kept me from becoming even more proud
- A great Catholic husband, who takes seriously his duty to get his wife to heaven!
- Children and grandchildren who are practicing Catholics
- Several traditional Catholic communities from which to choose in Kansas City
The second gift from God was much more personal and awe inspiring. A close relative had two serious diseases, one indicating certain death of the soul and the other indicating certain death of the body. Yet God permitted both diseases to progress to a very, very happy ending. I've written up the story in detail, but the person involved is still reluctant for me to tell it.
The story involves the devil, St. Therese of the Little Flower (yes, she sent roses just as she promised), and the special protection of a relic of the Cross of Jesus held in the most beautiful reliquary I've seen outside a museum. All kinds of God-sent blessings came during the events which resulted in the turning of a person who was the most selfish individual I've ever met to the most considerate and loving Catholic person less than six months later. And the miracles have lasted for over 20 years. Thanks be to God for all his blessings!