Sep 8, 2006

Tithing of Our Time

Tithing is returning to God 10 percent of what he gives us. Usually tithing is applied to money received, but it really applies to our whole life being a gift from God. We can learn something from one Catholic who is quite ill with MS who writes:

I began a daily prayer time. I prayed 2 hours every night after everyone else went to bed. I have a wonderful Buddhist friend, Veronica, who told me that she tithes her time to God daily, not her money. She reminded me that Jesus Himself said to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's, give to God what is God's." And money was not of God, it was of man. My soul is what belongs to God, and I should devote my life to Him, beginning with tithing 10% of my day every day to His glory and honor.

Veronica made a lot of sense. I tried it. While I wasn't Buddhist, it felt right for a Catholic to follow this very same practice. After all, it certainly couldn't hurt. And it worked miracles in my life! I began reading stories about the lives of the saints. I read about their devotion to the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I saw Him through their eyes, and soon saw my own suffering in a different light as well. I began attending Mass again. I started to feel alive for the first time in years.

One of the most productive times in my spiritual life was when I belonged to the Legion of Mary. Only two hours of apostolic work was required each week, plus a meeting. Together with an active daily prayer life, the Legion of Mary is a good start on giving ten percent of your time to God.

No comments: