Most of the time, only a few dollars are needed to make a huge difference in what happens to people in their future lives. Here are some gifts people have given me or that I have learned about from others:
- Buy a subscription to a good Catholic magazine or newspaper for someone special. It really can be a lifelong gift.
- Volunteer to take someone's little kids so the couple can see a movie like "Into Great Silence." Pay their way.
- Give the altar boy who won't get a nice present for Confirmation (because his family can't afford it) a special gift.
- Pay for a small ad in a local paper (either Catholic or secular), volunteering to send a person a free small catechism of the Catholic Church.
- Design a contest to draw out the best in Catholic students. Mail an announcement to schools, or ask a Catholic newspaper or church bulletin for free publicity. Give small money prizes.
- Pay for a Catholic Information booth at the county fair. Ask the Legion of Mary or another parish organization to staff it with materials and people.
- Invite a person to go with you to a Catholic movie, conference, monastery, or shrine and treat them to lunch or dinner. You'll enjoy it more than they will!
- Keep your eyes open to help someone with a special need; often it won't cost much.