Jul 16, 2006

Women's Lib Movement

WolfTracker recently recommended the blog of Radical Catholic Mom who publishes mostly good posts--except one. I believe her post on "Gender Experience in Science" shows a lack of understanding of the Women's Liberation Movement (WLM). Radical Catholic Mom comments:
While many Conservative Christians suspect Feminists, I have to say that I am thankful for the feminist movement. Women of my generation take all their hard fought rewards for granted, yet this article shows we have more work to do.

Radical Catholic Mom is obviously much younger than I and she seems unaware of the destruction accomplished in the past 40+ years by the WLM. The origin and history of the WLM is a compendium of hating men (divorce him, sister! You're better off without him), hating themselves even more (I'm powerless and so I want to be either a man or a lesbian loving a women), and hating children (contraception, abortion, and putting children into childcare while mothers work at a career). I really hate to see this kind of post that praises the WLM, because it ignores the fact that women's lib is responsible for many of the social problems of today.

Many years ago, I was part of a pro-family group that opposed the WLM. The WLM had been able to pressure Congress to pass "A Bill to direct the National Commission on the Observance of International Women's Year, 1975, to Organize and Convene a National Women's Conference."

With federal funding, conferences were first held in each state to generate local public support for abortion, homosexual rights, and government-sponsored daycare (to support divorced women, unmarried mothers, and mothers who wanted careers). The Kansas conference was held in Wichita and the WLM groups were in control. Church groups became organized once they found out the agenda. Busloads of good Catholic and Protestant woman came to the Wichita conference to vote for a slate of pro-family delegates to the National Women's Conference in Houston.

Thousands of women came to the conference in Wichita, more from the pro-family side than from the women's lib side. [Kansas was better organized than most states to support the pro-familiy positions.] We were able to elect a majority, but not all, of the delegates to the National Women's Conference. Why couldn't we elect all the delegates? Well, the women's libbers closed the doors claiming that the fire marshal had determined that the seating capacity of the convention center had been exceeded. Of course, who was in line waiting to enter? More Church women! I later checked with the real fire marshal whose capacity figure for the center was considerably beyond the number of votes cast. All the women who entered the building were allowed to vote.

Many other bad things happened in Wichita, but there were far worse things at the National Conference in Houston. I may tell you more in a future post. But for now, here's a funny story, of sorts. I was standing in line at a restaurant and a businessman behind me wanted to know what was going on with the women's convention. I told him there were a lot of Lesbians in attendance. He asked how could I know they were Lesbians. I responded, "Because they wear signs and buttons proclaiming their desires." I did see one other button worn by a pro-family delegate. It was the shortest verse in the Gospel, "Jesus wept."

During this same time, another pro-life mother decided to do some snooping to determine what the WLM was up to in KC. She attended a WLM meeting held in Missouri and was supposed to tell the rest of us what went on. Mrs. P. is one of the strongest fighters we had, ready to battle at the drop of a hat--yet she returned with little information. You see, Mrs. P. said she had never felt such a presence of evil as in that room where the WLM was planning its activities. She said she had to leave because Satan was there.

Postscript: Even though I work professionally in an area where men are the great majority, I have not been discriminated against by men, which is the big bug-a-boo of the WLM. My experience is that men treat and reward me better than their comrades for my talents and contributions. Yes, they do need to get to know me first, but that happens with men too.

I've suggested to Radical Catholic Mom that if she needs to emulate someone, she needs to review the life of Phyllis Schlafly, named one of the most important 100 women in the century.
Phyllis is American's best-known advocate of the dignity and honor that we as a society owe to fulltime homemakers. The mother of six children, she was the 1992 Illinois Mother of the Year.

No comments: