Nov 27, 2006

"Who Killed Christ?" and Benedict XVI

A TV presentation within the past couple of years asked the question, "Who Killed Christ?" They showed the evidence against Judas, Pontius Pilate, Herod, Roman soldiers, and Caiphas and the ancient Jews, all of whom were involved in the death of Christ. The final answer of The Discovery Channel was that Jesus willed and was responsible for His own death.

Jesus is the High Priest who laid down His life to make the pleasing sacrifice to God the Father. While Jesus had the authority and power to prevent His passion, He voluntarily suffered death to make sacrifice for our sins and save all of us from hell. Truthfully, all sinners are responsible for the killing of Jesus Christ. That answer is supported by the New Testament, especially John 3:16-17, and John 10:17-18.
For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in Him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting. For God sent not His Son into the world, to judge the world, but that the world may be saved by Him.

Therefore doth the Father love Me: because I lay down my life, that I may take it again. No man taketh it away from Me: but I lay it down of myself, and I have power to lay it down: and I have power to take it up again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
I've begun to wonder if Benedict XVI may have decided to expose himself to a potential assassination by Muslims to voluntarily imitate Christ's redemptive sacrifice. The Pope's willingness to sacrifice his life for peace in the face of intense hatred would likely make clear to some Muslims and a lot of non-Muslims the awesome charity of our religion in contrast to the evil nature of Islamism.

If such a terrible act of violence occurs, it would make Christians clearly come to grips with marauding Islamism. Moreover, a Pope martyr/saint has not been seen for many, many centuries and would fertilize the seedbed of the Church with his blood. Benedict XVI may believe this is necessary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting outlook, and it echoes my own thoughts on the reasons and possible outcomes of the Pope's visit to Turkey.